Sunday, October 17, 2010
Cielo Chiaro Special: Zuppa di Pomodoro e’ Fagioli
Ingredients:1 Tablespoon butter
1 medium onion, chopped
3 large tomatoes (the big round ones)
2 cups veggie stock
2-1/2 teaspoons paprika
1/2 teaspoon dried garlic (could use fresh, but we had this in the cabinet)
Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
1 can cannellini beans, drained
1 can red beans (at least that’s American equivalent), drained
2 to 4 medium thick slices of bread (can serve up to 4)
Grated Swiss cheese
1. Add the butter to a stockpot over medium-high heat. When it’s just past bubbling, add the onions. Saute them, stirring regularly, until their golden brown.
2. Add the tomatoes to the pot, stir, and add the stock. Reduce the heat to a medium-low-ish, and let simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Add the spices, stir, and let simmer for 15 more minutes, stirring occasionally again (there are lots of occasions here).
4. Add the beans to the pot, stir, and let simmer for five minutes or until the beans are heated through. Add more salt and pepper to taste.
5. Add a slice of bread each to a bowl for however many people you’re serving (it should serve up to four). Ladle a large helping of soup over each slice and into each bowl. Top each with grated Swiss cheese.