Thursday, August 4, 2011

Close Up from Orvieto’s Duomo

I was talking to a friend about Italy yesterday (he and his family are getting ready for a trip, and I of course was happy to give opinions and things to do and see in central Italy), and it was a strange experience. First, I’m always ready to point folks in directions when they’re visiting Italy--directions of spots I like, that is. But secondly, it was hard (and always is) to talk to someone who is heading towards central Italy when I’m not sure when I’ll be back. Anywho, to get away from my maudlin meanderings, one of the places we talked about was Orvieto. If you’ve read my Orvieto post, you know I was blown away by the wild Duomo there (if you haven’t read the post, go here). The prismatic colors, the doors, and especially the sculptures are not to be missed. Of course, after we talked I went back and looked at all our pics taken when there, and just had to post this close up of one of the scenes on the Duomo, Cain and Abel's story:


It’s so textured, and life-like, and ruthless, like many of the scenes sculpted. Amazing.

*Note: We were on pre-tirement, and now we’re back. Want the full story? Start the pre-tirement journey here. Want to go backwards? Read the last pre-tired post here and scroll back. Or, just keep coming back for pretty Italy pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment